1) Good food in Philly – Last Saturday, I finally made it to Parc for the first time for brunch. I got the chicken paillard and it was amazing. The waitress also sold us on getting a whole bottle of champagne and orange juice instead of just single mimosas and that ended up being totally worth it. Last night, I went to Barcelona Wine Bar, which just opened this week on Passyunk! I know people are hesitant about a chain restaurant on Passyunk but this place doesn’t have that vibe at all. As someone who lacks some wine literacy, the book of wine options was super overwhelming. Luckily the staff was amazing and we had someone literally sit down with us and talk through wine selection. The food was great too!
2) Game of Thrones is back on Sunday! And with the return of GoT comes the return of one of my favorite podcasts, Nerdette Recaps Game of Thrones with Peter Sagal. I’m obsessed with Peter Sagal (obviously) and the women from the Nerdette podcast are hilarious. Seriously, this podcast is the only way I was able to keep everything straight last season.
3) I finally caved and a record player (this one, if you’re curious – I love it so far)! I have a collection of records I inherited from my dad and I’ve felt borderline guilty having them around my apartment for the last few months without any way to listen to them. I’m talking all the Fleetwood Mac, Blondie, and pretty much any 70’s music you could ever ask for. I’ve since supplemented that collection with a few of my own picks. So far I’ve snagged some Glass Animals, The xx, Alabama Shakes, and Lake Street Dive.
4) LÉON – There’s a good chance you’ve heard her music and don’t even realize it. Tired of Talking has over 5 million plays on Spotify (my favorites from her are Think About You and LÉON’s Lullaby). I was moderately aware of her other stuff when I saw her pop up on the calendar for Boot & Saddle a few months ago and immediately bought tickets. It was SUCH a great show (pictured above) and I couldn’t get over how excellent she was live and how genuinely happy she was to be there performing. I’ve been anxiously awaiting her return to another Philly venue and was super excited to see that she’ll be coming to The Foundry on October 28. Got my tickets already thanks to the Spotify presale!
5) I couldn’t actually think of a good #5 for today until listening to new music on my commute this morning. It struck me that there are two new totally badass feminist songs out today. Check out Woman by Kesha (not Ke$ha any more!) and Sorry Not Sorry by Demi Lovato.